Tuesday, November 1, 2011

A ScrapFIT Reveal: 'Tis the Season

Updates:
Before I get to my ScrapFIT project, here are a few scrappy updates. My work was featured on some different sites recently so I wanted to share the links here.
A Day at the Beach
My Ol' Kentucky Home
Nikki Sivils collection
My "Day at the Beach" layout is in the fall issue of ScrapStreet Magazine under the article, "Feeling Punchy". It has different examples on how people have incorporated their punches into their layouts.

Also in the fall issue of ScrapStreet magazine is another layout entitled, "My Ol' Kentucky Home". This is part of an article entitled, "Basically Buttons". There are lots of examples of how people have incorporated buttons into their layouts.

I worked with a Nikki Sivils collection for some projects with Pages from the heart. After completing the projects for the store, I sent some photos to her blog, and it was showcased here on her site along with other readers' submissions.



ScrapFIT Reveal:
Back to the topic at hand, here are the guidelines for the latest ScrapFIT challenge:

Workout #55 - Tis' The Season

We know Christmas will be here before we know it so let's start spreading ideas for Christmas Cards and Tags!  Show us what you're putting in the mail or attaching to a gift this year! 
You have until November 31st to link your handmade Christmas Card or Tag up to Mr. Linky in today's post for a change to win!

Here is my version of the assignment. I started out making a shaker snow globe card, but it is actually more of a wall hanging. 

Christmas Wallhanging


The Background:
Kevin on Halloween
My husband was eagerly awaiting the iPhone 4s for months and ordered it online. There were some issues with the service so we went into the Apple store the day after the release and it was a madhouse still. I sat on the wooden stool for an hour watching the chaos and I noticed the iPhone 4 cases were selling like hotcakes. People were buying them, immediately placing it on their phone and walking out with a trail of discarded packaging in their wake. I looked at one of the "Uncommon" boxes and thought it was perfect for a shadow box. It had a built in frame with a protruding plastic center. 

iPhone 4 case packaging
Even Kevin came by, looked at the packaging, said, "Shaker card" and went back to talk to the AT & T rep. I'm so proud of his scrappy prowess. Thus the Christmas altered iPhone case packaging was born.

The Process:
I started by covering the outer black frame in patterned paper. I used Imaginisce's Santa's Little Helper collection. 


I decorated the center of the shadow box with my main image, which is my nephew in a Christmas tree outfit. 


Then I poured some white glitter and stars to make it look like snow when you shake the card. 


I glued the packaging back together, including the plastic tab at the top to make it suitable for hanging. The actual assemblage was quite easy as I just used the original materials. The longest part was decorating everything and using the tiny 2.5mm Glam Rocks without losing any. I wanted a title, so I made a little tag that dangles at the bottom of the main photo. 


I know I can never look at packaging in the same way again. 

The Prize:
If you want to participate in this challenge, all you have to do is make your own Christmas card or tag and link it to today's post.  Or, you can just take a look to gain some ideas from the design team for your own interest. This month's sponsor is Burlap & Buttercups, a monthly kit club, and you can win this complete kit. 

Burlap & Buttercups prize


Take care,

2 comments:

Jenifer Evans aka jennaroo said...

GORGEOUS!

gracescraps@gmail.com said...

Michelle, this shaker box is soooo adorable!! Thanks for the tutorial on how to put one together!! ~ Blessings

http://gracescraps.blogspot.com/

Post a Comment