Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Pages from the Heart: Trio of Cards

The Reveal
The April assignment for the design team at Pages from the Heart is to make three cards with the themes of birthday, masculine and free choice. I decided to make one type of card in three different ways, to show variations on a theme, and to channel my creative energies into the design rather than the construction.

Trio of Square Cards

The Cards
I chose a square card since I find the look to be very elegant. I used one 12 x 12" cardstock as the base. I cut out 3 x 3" squares from each of the four corners and rounded the vertices that were left. 

Inside view of card

The four flaps can interlock to seal the card so it doesn't need an envelope. 

Back view of card
The basic construction is quite fast and easy, then you can just decorate the square into any design or object  of your choice. 

Supplies:
Featured Collection: Canvas Corp’s 
Green & White Collection

Cardstock: Bazzill
Patterned Papers: Canvas Corp
Stickers: S.R.M. Press
Twine: The Twinery
Ribbon: May Arts
Punches: EK Success
Other: buttons

Card 1: Shirt
Starting with the same base, I decided to transform each square into a different object. With Father's Day coming up, I thought a shirt design might be fun to give dear ol' dad. The pocket can hold a tag with a secret message, and the bow tie is 3-D. I was thinking a child could make this too for their dad. 




Card 2: Present
For my second card, I turned the square into a present with a giant 3-D bow. This would be good for any type of invitation or to go along with a birthday or wedding gift. You can modify it to any occasion that has a present involved. The bow is on a wrapper that slides off. 





Card 3: Mortar Board
For my third card, I changed the square into a mortar board as graduation season is almost upon us. I made a tassel from twine, plus a diploma from a scrap piece of paper. I also made an envelope from a piece of 12 x 12" cardstock to match the card in case you want it to look more formal when presenting it to the graduate. 



I made one in black to make it more realistic and presented it to my friend for her daughter's graduation, and both really liked it. The metal Congrats was a keychain I wrapped around the button. The tassel was made from fringe trim from the fabric section. 


The cards turned out very differently even though the started out with the same square base. Just have fun and experiment with your own creations. 

Thanks for stoppin' by,




0 comments:

Post a Comment