Thursday, April 19, 2012

Star Wars Party Favor

The Inspiration
My nephew had his 5th birthday party this past weekend, and he wanted a Star Wars theme. I was in charge of making the favors, which was really fun as Stars Wars has an endless source of inspiration.

Getting ready for his party
On Pinterest I had been seeing a lot of Valentines with a child holding a lollipop using a forced perspective, like this one here, and I really liked that idea. I adapted it to fit a Star Wars theme.

The Reveal
Here are the finished favors.

Star Wars Treat Holders
I started by having my sister take a picture of my nephew in his Jedi bathrobe. Using Adobe Photoshop, I cut out the background of the living room and replaced it with a painting of a swamp in Dagobah. Then I added Yoda ears. Here are the before and after photos.


I typed the sentiment and date on the picture, using Yoda phrasing. I wanted to find a candy that mimicked the look of a light saber. Pixie Stix had the right size but the stripes were distracting, Sour Twists were too thick. I ended up finding some flavored honey sticks from the street fair which had an iridescent glow. I punched a hole on the photo and inserted the candy and taped it to the back. I glued the picture onto a pre-made treat box. 
Honey stick light saber
The Party
A highlight of the party was when my brother-in-law conducting a round of Jedi training. The kids were given light sabers made from pool noodles and duct and electrical tape. 

Jedi Training
The culmination of their training was a one on one battle against Darth Vader, as played by my hubby. 

Use the force
Use your scrappiness for good and stay away from the dark side. 

Thanks for stoppin' by,


0 comments:

Post a Comment